Sr. Underwriter II
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Serves as the lead resource person for assigned line(s) of business. Reviews, evaluates, accepts or declines complex referrals from Underwriters or risks outside the authority level of the Underwriter. Capable of underwriting complex business with limited support.
Oversees the underwriting function for the line(s) of business assigned and makes recommendations to update guidelines and improve procedures and processes.
Identifies opportunities within the underwriting process to help achieve company's Vision objectives.
Works closely with the Underwriting staff to develop their knowledge of underwriting practices. Coaches and mentors staff to ensure proper underwriting methods are consistently used to make sound and timely decisions. Communicates underwriting rules, guidelines and philosophy to agents and team members.
Advises Underwriting Manager of staff training needs; assists in preparation of training materials and participates in training.
Works effectively with Underwriting Managers to resolve issues, enhance a team oriented approach, and promote underwriting as an opportunity to create solutions.
Develops and enhances relationships with agents and their staff and recommends strategies to grow and retain business, and maintain profitability.
Provides exceptional customer experiences, including but not limited to answering
ACD and Extension In phone calls and responding to general questions and inquiries for the lines of business assigned.
Evaluates the need and underwrites business as required. Monitors workflow and delegates assignments to Underwriting staff as needed.
Attends meetings and/or serves on committees on behalf of Underwriting when assigned. Assists in the strategic planning process for the department.
Performs other related duties as directed.
1) Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university preferred. Minimum of ten (10) years underwriting experience required.
2) Successful completion of training courses, equivalent industry training or additional years of comparable insurance industry experience.
3) Exhibit exemplary customer experience skills, and strong decision-making and negotiation skills.
4) For all assigned lines of business, exhibit broad knowledge of:
b) Terms and forms
c) Rating elements
5) Exhibit a basic knowledge of reinsurance requirements.
6) Knowledge of regulatory policies and practices pertaining to the underwriting of assigned line(s) of business. Has thorough knowledge of applicable laws and regulations impacting Underwriting, including the Texas Insurance Code, Texas Administrative Code, and Underwriting Guidelines.
7) Exhibit the ability to analyze, underwrite and make decisions regarding complex risks.
8) Exhibit the ability to read, comprehend and explain written instructions in all manuals and regulatory rulebooks.
9) Exhibit ability to communicate effectively by:
a) Listening to others and understanding their points of view
b) Keeping others informed on matters affecting them
c) Constructing written correspondence using correct grammar and punctuation
d) Expressing thoughts (oral and written) so they are understood, and
e) Conducting effective oral presentations
10) Exhibit self-control by remaining calm under conditions of stress.
11) Broad knowledge of the risk management process through:
a) Identifying and analyzing loss exposures
b) Selecting the techniques or combination of techniques to be used to handle exposures
c) Implementing the techniques chosen, and
d) Monitoring the decisions made and implementing appropriate changes
12) Exhibit knowledge of technical tools including but not limited to:
c) Electronic mail
13) Exhibit ability to effectively work with other team members by:
a) Being able to listen to other’s points of view
b) Maintaining eye contact
c) Not displaying or verbalizing resentment toward the job or the company
d) Not complaining about your peers, and
e) Cooperating with others
14) Ability to set priorities and schedule work.
Sr. Underwriter II
Serves as the lead resource person for assigned line(s) of business. Reviews, evaluates, accepts or declines complex referrals from underwriters for risks outside the Underwriter’s authority level.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university preferred. Minimum of ten (10) years underwriting experience required. Successful completion of training courses or equivalent industry training courses or additional years of comparable insurance industry experience.
Accepts or declines business referrals from underwriting staff, including complex or unusual risks. Oversees the underwriting function for the line(s) of business assigned and makes recommendations to improve guidelines, procedures, and processes. Underwrites business as required.