Job Summary: The Statutory Accounting Manager will perform daily and monthly duties in general accounting, financial reporting and compliance. The Statutory Accounting Manager will be responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely recording of data in the accounting system, will assist management and others in making educated economic decisions about the Company’s future, and will safeguard operations by ensuring the company’s financial filing compliance requirements are met in each state. The Statutory Accounting Manager will also be responsible for directing the work of one or more staff along these lines.
• Continuously exhibit and uphold Core Values of Integrity, Accountability, Communication and Teamwork, Innovation and Customer Service
• Monthly and quarterly financials on a GAAP and Stat basis.
• Regulatory filing requirements.
• Federal income taxes.
• Premium and loss reporting.
• Reserve and reinsurance reporting.
• Reinsurance settlements and petitions.
• Expense variance analysis.
• DAC analysis.
• Bank statement reconciliation.
• Investment accounting.
• Ledger system maintenance.
• Daily cash balances and requirements.
• Recruit and train accounting and finance employees to support long-term management strategy, goals and objectives.
• Effectively manage the performance and development of accounting and finance employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong work ethic with a drive to succeed.
• High level of initiative and motivation.
• Ability to work independently.
• Flexibility in a rapidly changing environment.
• Strong general accounting and ledger skills (GAAP, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, etc.).
• Statutory financial reporting knowledge and experience with regulatory annual filing compliance a plus.
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) with an emphasis on Excel and general accounting systems.
Experience and Education:
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance or related required.
• Minimum of 8-10 years hands-on accounting experience with GAAP and/or statutory accounting required.
• CPA designation strongly preferred.