Senior Underwriter I
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Within authority underwrites, approves/declines new business, policy changes and renewals for the lines of business assigned. The assignment may include one or more of the following lines of business: property, liability, auto, and boat.
Evaluates risk to Company according to the underwriting guidelines and susceptibility to damage due to nature, location of property, operations, physical and moral hazards involved, underwriting precedent and prior loss experience.
Reviews inspection reports, financial reports, MVRs, CLUE, photos, and Claims advisories to develop risk profile. Recommends risk improvements as indicated. Researches and assists agents in determining appropriate coverage for submissions.
Reviews, accepts or declines more complex, unusual or high value risks referred by underwriting staff outside their acceptance authority. Evaluates, accepts or declines request for exceptions to underwriting guidelines for all lines of business referred by underwriting staff outside their acceptance authority. Reviews and takes appropriate action on binders and delinquent reports.
Attends meetings and acts on behalf of the Manager/Supervisor when assigned.
Serves as a primary resource of underwriting information for underwriting staff on assigned team. Aids the Manager/Supervisor in delegating assignments to underwriting team staff. Assists training staff in developing training aids.
Assists in the training and career development of Underwriters, Associate Underwriters, and Underwriting Specialists.
Exhibits exceptional customer service skills when responding to questions and inquiries from agents and policyholders.
Possess the ability to negotiate effectively.
Knowledgeable of Exposure Management Plan and Agency Assistance Program guidelines.
Serves as a primary resource of agency information for the Director. Assists in the strategic planning process for the Department.
Performs other related duties as directed.
1) Bachelor’s Degree from accredited College or University preferred. Minimum of five (5) years underwriter experience required.
2) Exhibit a broad knowledge of coverage for personal lines of business assigned.
3) Exhibit a broad knowledge of all industry terms insurance standard forms.
4) Exhibit a basic knowledge of the rating elements for lines of business.
5) Exhibit the ability to underwrite property risks as assigned by evaluating:
6) Exhibit the ability to read and comprehend and guidelines, manuals and rulebooks.
7) Exhibit the ability to underwrite automobile risks as assigned by evaluating:
a) Motor Vehicle Record
b) Vehicle inspection forms
c) Age of the vehicle
d) Age and experience of operators
e) Use and type of the vehicle
f) Reports sourced from systems such as Lexis Nexis i.e. CLUE and Current Carrier
8) Exhibit the ability to underwrite casualty risks as assigned by evaluating:
a) Type of insured
b) Business activities
c) Premium base
d) Identifying hazards normal to the business activities of the insured
e) Identifying exposures to assure premium for exposures
9) Exhibit ability to communicate effectively by:
a) Listening to others and understanding their points of view
b) Keeping others informed on matters affecting them
c) Expressing thoughts (oral and written) so they are understood
d) Ability to conduct effective oral presentations
10) Exhibit self-control by remaining calm under conditions of stress.
11) Exhibit knowledge of technical tools including but not limited to:
a) Word Processing applications,
b) Spreadsheet applications,
c) Electronic mail, and
d) Statistical reports.
12) Exhibit ability to effectively work with other team members by:
a) Being able to listen to other’s points of view
b) Maintaining eye contact
c) Not displaying or verbalizing resentment toward the job or the company,
d) Not complaining about your peers
e) Cooperating with others
13) Ability to set priorities and schedule work.
Senior Underwriter-Personal Lines
Underwrites new and renewal Personal Lines accounts in accordance with Company guidelines and procedures. Assists Director as senior resource for training and development in the Underwriting Department.
Bachelors degree from accredited College or university preferred and five (5) years personal lines underwriting experience
Accepts or declines new and renewal business submitted by producers including complex, unusual or high value risks. Performs customer service duties for the lines of business assigned. Answers questions from underwriting staff as to policy provisions, interpretation and coverage issues. Assists in department training.