The Director of Accounting is a key leadership position within the corporate accounting team reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer. The Director of Accounting possesses overall accountability for leading the general accounting and treasury functions, including development and oversight of corporate accounting and financial management and treasury operations in a SOX controlled environment. Must demonstrate strong communication and organization skills, the ability to lead a cross-functional team, and possess strong financial and analytical skills.
- Manage accounting close processes (monthly, quarterly, annually) for all of company business units; continuously improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the accounting and closing processes.
- Review and approve daily and monthly journal entries.
- Ensure all balance sheet reconciliations are performed accurately and timely and all reconciliations are appropriately reviewed according to our internal SOX standards. Ensure all reconciling items are cleared timely and/or show evidence of follow-up.
- Develop and maintain financial policies and procedures, including proper application and documentation of GAAP in all transactions.
- Review departmental SOX Process Documentation and develop knowledge of all Accounting SOX controls and ensure compliance. Ensure SOX documentation is updated prior to implementation of process changes.
- Manage projects, delegate appropriate tasks and train staff on new accounting standards and business changes.
- Improve utilization of technology to improve efficiency of the accounting team.
- Assist financial reporting group with audit requirements and compliance.
- Provide leadership and direction to treasury operations including cash management, cash forecasting, borrowing, bank fees and bank relationships.
- Identify and implement process and system improvement opportunities to improve cash flow and organizational efficiency.
- Review departmental SOX Process Documentation and develop knowledge of all Treasury SOX controls and ensure compliance. Ensure SOX documentation is updated prior to implementation of process changes.
- Manage treasury and related policies, debt covenants and other banking/regulatory requirements.
- Work with other corporate finance functions to ensure accurate and timely accounting for matters related to cash, investments, debt and inter-company activity.
Payroll, Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivables
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the accounts payable, accounts receivables, and payroll functions.
- Establish and communicate goals and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to monitor performance results.
- Develop team members to ensure proper assignment of responsibilities within team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- 10+ years of related Accounting experience in Financial Services industry.
- 6+ years of team leadership experience.
- CPA designation required.
- Prefer Oracle financial systems knowledge.
- Prefer insurance or banking industry experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to address issues/concerns in a professional manner.
- Ability to collaborate and interact effectively with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ability to learn regulations and standards.
- Ability to operate in an extremely fast-paced, complex accounting environment shaped by constant change and innovation.
- Knowledge of GAAP and statutory accounting principles.
- Knowledge f current SEC rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of insurance products is a plus.
Position may require occasional out of town travel.