This position supports Commercial Lines Underwriting for the states of Illinois, Indiana and Iowa. The desired candidate must have a minimum of three years of commercial lines underwriting experience.
JOB SUMMARY: Accepts, retains and prices small to moderate exposure for renewal and endorsement commercial business polices based on granted authority. Provides other underwriting technical support with moderate direction. Works within broad limits of authority on underwriting assignments of high technical complexity. Provides guidance and assistance to lower level underwriters and other functional areas.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Underwriting Manager; no direct reports.
CORE JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Gathers information from multiple sources to perform underwriting analysis. May require gathering verbal information or data through reports or other electronic means.
- Reviews individual risks for acceptability and handles those within authority based on company underwriting guidelines and standards.
- Manages workflow and intricacies of underwriting heavy volume of assigned work, utilizing company tools and systems. Ensures file handling quality and workflow efficiency. May manage larger, more complex work that requires working with and through others to meet overall project timelines and maximize workflow. May assist in managing work inventories within the unit.
- Underwrites renewals and endorsements. Decisions at this level may require review of additional variables, leveraging agency relationships, inspection reports and evaluation of exceptions. Reviews for acceptability and handles those within authority using company underwriting guidelines and standards.
- Plans completion of assignments to meet agreed upon timelines and service level agreements.
- Communicates with agents and other internal and external business partners by requesting and providing requested information.
- Strengthens agency relationships through regular contact on underwriting matters, promoting profit and new business growth, renewal retention and service capabilities. May participate in the review and analysis of agency performance.
- Responds to request from agents and underwriting staff with resolution within established time and service standards to facilitate and expedite service needs. Routes calls and higher-level issues to appropriate individuals. May handle escalated customer service issues.
- Educates internal and external partners on underwriting process, practice and tools. Helps train less experienced underwriting staff. May participate in training development or delivery as a subject matter expert.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
License/Certification/Designation: Completion of INS, AU or similar designations with progress toward CIC and/or CPCU is preferred.
Experience: Minimum of three years of commercial lines underwriting experience.
Knowledge: Commercial underwriting policy, practices and procedures. Rating plans and plan concepts. State and Federal insurance laws and regulations. Commercial insurance processing systems.
Skills/Competencies: Verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with all levels of internal and external contacts. Ability to evaluate and recommend solutions to work-related problems. Ability to analyze insurance risks to determine the degree of acceptability and pricing. Effective time management skills and competencies preferred. Ability to operate PC and related software. Ability to advise agents and agency staff on commercial contracts, procedures and business practices.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Occasional travel may be required to visit clients or attend meetings. Extended or non-standard work hours as required to meet business needs.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstance may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.