Our client is an assertive growing group of insurance companies looking to bring on staff a Vice President of Underwriting.
4 direct reports
22 total in underwriting organization
Direct Reports: Underwriting Director/Managers
Indirect Reports: Underwriters
Overall Purpose and Main Objectives:
Provide consistent direction in the selection, pricing and control of all lines of property and casualty business written by the Insurance Group.
Oversee the personnel operating within the underwriting function to ensure that services are being provided in a professional and timely manner to all customers.
Develop and implement multi-line underwriting philosophy, strategy and direction across the corporation.
Responsible for achieving established corporate growth, loss ratio, service and expense goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain Customer Service levels as outlined by Corporate Goals, through management of underwriter error/issue ratios, and timely communications across all companies.
2. Maintain efficient underwriting operations through management of department budget.
3. Maintain profitable operations through achievement of corporate loss ratio goals. Develop, implement, and monitor re-underwriting programs.
4. Assist Business Development and IT with development and testing of various products/projects.
5. Encourage growth and career development of underwriting staff by coaching, mentoring, and providing guidance and direction for future leaders including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
6. Develop and implement timely training needs assessment and subsequent implementation of necessary training programs for employee development.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in risk management & insurance, business administration or related degree or equivalent work experience.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills and supervisory skills.
Strong decision-making and prioritization skills.
Multi-line property & casualty underwriting experience.
Senior level management experience at a property & casualty insurance company.
Demonstrated exceptional leadership skills.
Strong project management skills.
Demonstrated exceptional analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
Able to manage relationships and resources while maintaining underwriting best practices.
Ability to develop and nurture working relationships with both independent and captive agents and agencies.
In-depth knowledge of insurance and policy contracts.
Work under pressure and shifting priorities to achieve corporate goals.
Reinsurance experience preferred.
CPCU designation preferred.