Job summary: Specializes in commercial bodily injury, predominately of a serious and sometimes complex nature. Adjusts serious exposure commercial casualty claims requiring investigation, evaluation and negotiations. Handles litigated files to conclusion and oversees the activities of defense counsel.
Reports to: Claims Manager
1) Promptly and effectively handles to conclusion assigned claims with little to no direction and oversight which may include complex and catastrophic casualty losses. Recommends settlement values, adheres to high standards of professional conduct consistent with the delivery of superior service.
2) Utilizes various methods of settlement in those cases where warranted; assigns cases to outside vendors as warranted.
3) Opens, closes and adjusts reserves within authority levels.
4) Maintains current knowledge of assigned insurance lines, court decisions which impact the claims function and policy changes and modifications.
5) Serves as a mentor to less experienced claims associates and assists with training/presentations as assigned by claims management.
6) Oversees defense counsel in all lawsuit activities from inception throughout the life of the claim, including subrogation activities.
7) Field travel required with use of company car when needed. Approximate travel = 25%. Travel includes the states of Illinois, Indiana and Iowa.
Education: College degree preferred.
Licenses/Designations: Indiana license required, and can be obtained upon acceptance of the position. Professional development such as CPCU, INS, AIC preferred.
Experience: Minimum 3-5 years of commercial casualty experience, including commercial policy knowledge. Advanced knowledge of insurance theory and practices, insurance contracts and their application. Excellent customer focus and proven ability to proactively meet customer needs. Analytical skills necessary to make decisions and resolve conflict in application of coverage, laws of jurisdiction to investigation facts, policy exclusions and exceptions. Proven organizational skills to effectively prioritize increased and more complex workloads. Demonstrates strong but flexible standards and can be seen as balanced based on the conflicting demands of the position. Excellent written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively communicate and/or negotiate with various audiences.
Job Conditions: This is mostly an inside position with occasional travel as required based on the claim at hand. May require ability to sit and use telephone and personal computer for extended periods of time.
Representatives may be required to operate an automobile and have a valid driver’s license with a safe
driving record. Must be able to make physical inspections of accident scenes. Must be willing to work
irregular hours and to travel with possible overnight requirements. May be on-call.
Credit/Background check: Due to the fiduciary responsibilities within this job, a valid credit check
and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of
this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a
somewhat different combination of duties.
Compensation/Pay: Full time position with benefits. Salary negotiable and commensurate with