- Provide a combination of strategic and tactical leadership to the organization and within the financial services division.
- Partners with Senior Management to create solutions and recommendations to strategic needs and problems in order to improve performance and build company’s overall strength and competitive advantage in the insurance industry.
- Improve business results by providing leadership and strategy development for product and overall performance through establishment of KPI analytics, financial forecasting and peer benchmarking.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting Finance and ten to fifteen years of financial management experience – insurance industry strongly preferred.
- CPA designation and one professional designation in the finance or insurance field (i.e. CPCU, CFP, AIAF) – Big 4 accounting firm experience preferable.
- Performance history of enhancing shareholder policyholder value through an integration of skills, including in-depth industry knowledge, entrepreneurial acumen, change management skills, and the ability to educate other leaders regarding relevant financial matters.
- Practical experience in:• Financial reporting (STAT and GAAP)• Treasury and investment portfolio management• Advanced financial analysis• Mergers and acquisitions• Billing and collections• Strategic planning• Data warehousing mining• Financial planning and modeling• Developing strategic partnerships• Business process reengineering
- Strong leadership skills including:• High degree of executive presence• Ability to develop and motivate others• Ability to effectively interact with Board of Directors other leadership management teams• Formal project management skills• Strong negotiation skills• Excellent written and oral communication and time management skills
- Reports to Vice President of Finance & Risk Management and partners with all other managers and senior managers while providing leadership and mentoring to staff.
- External – responsible for development and strategic partnership with the following:• Accounting firms (independent auditors) and Actuaries• Investment Managers• Reinsurers and reinsurance brokers• Rating agencies• Treasury type relationships banks
· Improve business results by providing leadership and strategy development around:
· Financial Services (accounting)
· Reinsurance program accounting and contract management
· Investment portfolio compliance and performance evaluation
· Regulatory compliance
· Product performance reporting and KPI analytics
· Financial forecasting and modeling
· Internal control environment
· Development of Financial, Reinsurance, and Risk Management Reporting Strategies & Tools including the following:• Corporate and “unit” financial plans for each calendar year• Financial modeling for multi-year horizons • Financial Statement preparation to satisfy all reporting requirements• Analysis of each units operating performance• Analysis of loss reserves and claims handling analytics• Preparation of all tax-related reporting requirements
· Development of an adequate system of internal controls throughout the organization to ensure we can measure and improve:• The effectiveness and efficiency of our operations.• The reliability of our financial reporting.• The safeguarding of corporate assets.• Compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
· Investment Management• Provides direction to investment managers• Evaluates alternative investment strategies and impact on results• Recommends and or implements changes to existing strategies• Partners with investment managers and consultants to optimize long term business results
· Ensure the development of a viable business recovery plan and maintain in a state of readiness.
- Other duties as assigned, not covered above.
- Develop and maintain a Financial Services Strategic and Tactical Plan that compliments overall corporate strategies and objectives.
- Recommend and implement corporate level strategies and operating philosophies which promote long term growth, stability, liquidity and profitability of the organization culminating in an AM Best Rating of “A” or better.
- Develop relationships with reinsures and reinsurance brokers, independent accounting firms, and investment managers which allow us to improve overall service levels with its employees, policy holders and Board of Directors.
- Extensive interaction with business leaders and executives in the formulation and implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Be recognized as a key leader throughout the organization known for the ability to drive change throughout the organization in a meaningful way.
- Implement and maintain all accounting policies and procedures for the Company and its subsidiaries in accordance with regulatory authorities.
- Evaluate performance of all staff and take responsibility for their career development while fostering a team environment and high morale.
- Direct the accurate and timely preparation of all internal and external reporting requirements including budgets, monthly and annual financial statements, tax returns, and related matters.
- Reinsurance program is designed and negotiated to achieve optimum coverage, pricing, and services – and correctly accounted for.
- Investment strategy designed to provide optimum returns in light of current business conditions.
- Corporate Risk Management Program results in optimum value for coverages and services purchased.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand. walk. frequently use hands to finger, handle, or feel controls. talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 5 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Minimal, periodic travel is required.
CPA preferred, with three to five years of financial management experience in the insurance industry (property and casualty preferred).
Practical experience in:
- Creating/managing a highly impactful accounting team
- Insurance financial and regulatory rules and reporting
- Corporate (enterprise) financial planning and execution
- Contemporary financial system implementation and usage
- General ledger implementation and maintenance
- Financial internal control design and evaluation
- Management of services and relationships with key 3rd parties