Senior Accountant – Investment Accounting
Our client is a leader in the U.S. retirement market. They are seeking a Senior Accountant-Investment Accounting professional Our client fosters strong partnerships to provide insightful and customized retirement solutions for employers and individual investors nationwide. Through a broad adviser network and its nationally recognized money managers, They provide mutual funds, annuities and retirement plans and programs. As an industry leader in service technology, our client's affiliates also offer business processing and broker/dealer solutions tailored to the financial services marketplace.
Combining its 125-year history of unmatched client service with innovative products, exceptional investment management and strategic planning, our client is one of the fastest growing retirement savings and income companies in the industry.
The Senior Accountant completes investment accounting responsibilities for the Investment Accounting Team. The Investment Accounting Team is responsible for recording, reporting and analyzing investment activity for the Company’s insurance and other subsidiaries. The department also prepares and reviews investment schedules for GAAP and rating agency filings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Account for various investments including, but not limited to, debt instruments, equity investments, and derivatives;
• Review and complete investment related journal entries within the general ledger system, PeopleSoft;
• Review and complete a monthly analysis of general ledger reconciliations to underlying investment data from PAM;
• Review of various investment agreements to determine appropriate accounting application;
• Assist in the preparation of quarterly an annual investment related disclosures for audited GAAP financial statements;
• Assist in analyzing investment accounting results and communicate with management;
• Work with internal and external sources to assure proper understanding and reporting of financial data, including the Investment Team, Actuarial, and State Street Kansas City, the company’s investment accounting outsource provider;
• Complete and assist with various audit related work papers for interim and annual audits and address additional follow-up questions/inquiries as they arise;
• Develop and maintain effective and efficient relationships with internal and external customers as well as business partners;
• Participate in development and changes to areas of responsibility that would enhance, improve or facilitate job performance, process or workflow;
• Assist in developing and maintaining a strong internal control environment within the Investment Accounting function; and
• Other projects as assigned to further streamline the close and automate the Investment Accounting area.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting;
• CPA (or willing to obtain CPA designation);
• 3+ years experience in a public accounting firm (Big 4 preferred);
• Knowledge of investments, both fixed-income and equity, as well as, derivative transactions preferred;
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the utilization of investment related systems;
• Ability to interpret and apply accounting based on language in contracts and agreements;
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
• Ability to work independently, make decisions and effectively communicate with all levels of management; and
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft and Pam preferred.