Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides legal support to the Claims Department, and will review and evaluate coverage and/or liability involving high exposure and/or complex legal issues and advises and consults with personnel on the handling of claims. Generally will not act as attorney of record, but may be present in court on occasion to represent the interest of company. Serves as a liaison between Claims Management and outside counsel to assist in providing outstanding legal service to company and its insureds. Responsible for assisting with the litigation process as needed to help bring about a quick, fair, and economical resolution of litigated Property and Casualty claims. Attends mediations and arbitrations, and monitors trials and/or hearings in person, when necessary. Actively identifies and logically assesses potential legal risks in ambiguous, unique and/or complex claims, and considers the long-term business and strategic consequences of possible outcomes.
Assists Specialists and outside counsel on the evaluation of risk and damage exposure, evaluation of case strategy, financial analysis, timely responses to all lawsuits, and developing action steps for the handling of each claim in suit. This will necessitate early identification of any lawsuit that will likely proceed to trial.
Responsible to keep current with changes in the law affecting claims in the states where company has exposures. Assists in keeping the department advised on legal issues that affect the handling of claims to ensure they are completed in accordance with provisions within the Texas Insurance Code or other applicable state law.
Provides guidance in interpreting all documents related to litigation. This will include original and amended petitions, discovery requests, motions, subpoenas, etc. Responsible for overseeing the proper categorization of these documents in each suit file, and assuring that timely and appropriate responses are made whenever necessary.
Manages outside counsel in connection with litigation, and maintains a professional relationship with all approved legal firms and/or attorneys. May assist with periodic visits and case reviews with these attorneys in an effort to maintain a positive rapport at all times. Performs periodic reviews of legal fees and case handling budgets to assure that all outside counsels charge a fair and equitable rate for their services. Recommends other competent vendors that will assist with mitigating expenses and claims indemnity.
This position provides legal advice and counsel to Claims management on a wide variety of basic to complex legal, regulatory, and business matters. Supports day-to-day initiatives and long-term strategies of the company.
Performs other related duties as directed by leadership.
- JD from accredited Law School and be admitted to practice law in the State of Texas
- Three years of experience as a litigation or Claims attorney with a preferred emphasis on insurance claims litigation, contracts, transactional matters, and/or trial experience
- Knowledge of Texas Insurance Code and Texas Administrative Code as it applies to insurance
- Ability to interpret complex laws and regulations and offer business units creative solutions based on new and changing laws and regulations
- Ability to recognize and solve problems through defining the problem, developing alternative solutions, weighing consequences of each solution, selecting the best course of action, implementing the decision and monitoring success or failure of the decision
- Proficient computer skills
- Ability to implement sound legal strategies and solutions to complex issues
- Strong interpersonal and oral and written communication skills. The ability to convey information effectively and appropriately for the needs of the audience
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Must have a complete knowledge of reinsurance contracts and principles
- Must be bondable
- Must possess strong legal research and writing skills
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail