The James Allen Companies Inc.
Our client is currently seeking an Accounting Supervisor to join their home office accounting team.
The Accounting Supervisor oversees the daily accounting operations activities including accounts payable, cash & credit management, and various financial systems utilized (EAS, WINGS, Premium Pro, One Source, BNA, LeaseQuery, Concur, Banking & Investments Portals). This is a key role that monitors, supervises, and develops personnel and policies & procedures associated with these functions. The position ensures highest level of customer service is provided both internally and externally by working with business managers and vendors in a collaborative manner.
- Provides supervision for accounts payable, cash management, fixed assets, and other related accounting operations functions
- In addition to supervision responsibilities, also responsible for completing various state premium taxes returns, annual statement notes and STAT audit reports for external auditors
- In conjunction with Manager, maintains current company and department procedures. Assigns work, provides training and feedback to team members, and conducts timely and appropriate evaluations of job performance in the department.
- Responsible for timely, accurate, and efficient filing of all local and state premium taxes incurred as a result of sales & use, collection of premiums, and income earned.
- Monitors external sources of state and local tax information to ensure timely completion of job responsibilities
- Analyzes and reconciles intermediate to significant general ledger accounts, transactions, and intercompany activity
- Analyzes a variety of accounting documents regarding accuracy of computations, for proper support of transactions and for trends and deviations
- Reviews inconsistencies, irregularities or errors in certain financial information and accounts and determines reasons for such inconsistencies
- Recommends solutions or changes in procedures for various accounting problems
- Provides input for management financial informational needs
- Identifies and resolves more complex problems associated with financial operations of accounts payable, cash receipting, income & premium tax, payroll, and other related activities
- Coordinates regularly with accounting management and key personnel in other departments to expedite solutions for problems affecting the accounting department
- Creates ad hoc reports on accounting matters
- Utilizes expert statutory accounting practices
- Prepares reports and statements of accounts of a confidential nature
- Refines account structures, reports, procedures and systems
- Reviews and approves work papers and products of less experienced accounting personnel
- Serves as point of contact internal auditors on accounting operations matters such as cash, accounts payable, bank reconciliation, travel & entertainment, payroll, and other related areas
- Interprets and applies state tax regulations
- Assists in developing, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with all financial policies and procedures
- Maintains cooperative relationships with all internal customers to ensure timely and accurate processing of accounting transactions and reporting of financial information as well as optimal financial systems operations
- Understands overall accounting process flows and actively develops the understanding of less-experienced personnel
- Maintains an appropriate level of knowledge and understanding of accounting, industry, and regulatory requirements relevant to assigned responsibilities
- Efficiently utilizes accounting information systems and productivity software to perform job responsibilities
- Assist in developing and delivering accounting process training sessions throughout the organization for both financial and non-financial personnel
- Maintains knowledge of internal control requirements (COSO) and environment as well as interpreting changes and maintaining accurate documentation for auditors
- Works directly with external auditors on maters pertaining to operational responsibilities
- Represents financial division on project teams and teams as needed
- As a management representative, consistently acts in the best interest of company and provides leadership and communication to actively promote company’s mission, values, and culture.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience required
- Prior supervisory experience preferred
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Statutory accounting highly preferred
- Advanced understanding and application of Microsoft programs
- Expert understanding and application of accounting information and related systems
- Ability to work additional hours when required
- Strong problem solving and analytical ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with all levels of an organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Time management skills, with ability to timely and accurately organize, prioritize, and complete responsibilities
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive data and maintain confidentiality