Commercial Account Manager (Senior Underwriter)
The James Allen Companies Inc.
The Commercial Account Manager serves as a liaison for insurance companies providing coverage and the insurance salespeople selling policies. A person seeking coverage typically will apply through a salesperson who refers the application to an underwriter. The underwriter reviews the data associated with the applicant, assesses the risk, determines if coverage should be provided, how much coverage should be provided, and at what cost to the insured.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares renewals, new business, and endorsement requests for the underwriter by gathering and evaluating exposure data (company information, claims history, statements of values, payroll, fleet lists, etc.), identifying rates for various coverage options, and entering information into databases.
- Prepares clear, accurate policy writing and billing instructions for business policy production and verifies the policy was produced accurately and on time.
- Sets up various post-sale account services with other departments, including identifying contacts for the policyholder, initiating the issuing process and advising the Claims department of the coverage written so they can prepare for incoming claims, etc.
- Initiates and responds promptly to telephone and written inquiries about processing, policy change requests, billing status, new applications, and ratings.
- Keeps the underwriting files properly documented and organized with accurate, clear, and complete information.
- Acts as a resource to less experienced employees by answering questions, helping solve problems, and assisting with orientation, training and ongoing development.
- Participates in stewardship meetings and production call
- Evaluates policies, processes procedures, and may recommend changes to management to improve productivity, reduce expense and/or enhance customer service.
This description is not meant to be all-inclusive and may be modified from time to time at the discretion of management.
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to contribute to a collaborative environment by consistently demonstrating teamwork, high motivation, positive behavior, and effort to achieve goals and objectives
- Self-motivated and independently takes initiative
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication, including the ability to actively listen and problem solve with minimal assistance
- Demonstrates excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Pays attention to detail and has commitment to a high level of accuracy
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and positive attitude
Education and/or Experience:
- High School or the recognized equivalent in education and experience, required
- Minimum of 8 years prior related experience and general knowledge of insurance company operations, required
- Experience in Transportation & Contracting Fields including Knowledge of Forms and contractors’ requirements are necessary
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Agency Management Software experience (AMS 360) is preferred
- Active NY P & C license required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Moderate stress due to regular deadlines and daily challenges
- High finger dexterity while typing documents and forms
- Occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is done in a temperature-controlled, non-smoking office
- Workstations are cubicles with moderately high sides
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate