Professional Liability Underwriter- California
The James Allen Companies Inc.
Are you an experienced underwriter with a keen understanding of how to turn risks into profitability? Do you have a whistle-while-you-work attitude and apply creativity to your decision making skills? Do you view underwriting as a valuable skill versus a process to get through? If this sounds like you, then you should consider this Sr. Underwriter opening on our Professional Liability team in Los Angeles. The perfect fit for this position will have plenty of technical expertise as well as the kind of charisma needed to foster long-term relationships with our brokers. Underwriting is the cornerstone of our business, and it’s a special type of person that we entrust with making us the first choice for wholesalers. That’s why we’re looking for someone with a personality marked by positivity and resourcefulness to uphold our values while putting their own personal touch on their book of business.
Supportive leadership, continued growth opportunities, and competitive compensation are just a few of the things you have to look forward to if you join the team. We pride ourselves on having an employee-centric company culture that you can count on, not just on your first day, but year after year after year. For the experienced underwriter with a winning personality, we welcome you to apply your unique skills to this role.
Below are additional details about this role including essential responsibilities and the qualities an ideal candidate will have in order to perform this role.
- Build upon and maintain a profitable book of business
- Work independently and use initiative and creativity
- Maintain exceptional levels of job knowledge and knowledge of market conditions and advise management of how these impact our products and operations
- Service complex multi-line risks
- Review and analyze submissions for acceptability and completeness, and secure supplemental information from various sources
- Determine and recommend acceptable terms within limits of written underwriting authority; bind coverage and oversee timely issuance of policies
- Service existing accounts; monitor claims and loss experience on existing accounts and make recommendations for changes to make/maintain profitability
- Maintain relationships with existing producers and develop same with new producers
- Conduct broker negotiations and presentations during marketing calls
- Assist in special reports and other projects, as requested
- Various other duties as assigned
- 4-year college degree strongly preferred or equivalent business experience
- 7+ years of professional liability underwriting experience
- Strong underwriting and marketing skills
- Excess and Surplus lines experience with wholesale broker contacts
- Must have excellent customer service orientation with superior work ethic
- Ideal candidate will be extremely responsive with excellent decision-making ability
- Experience should include one or more of the following classes of professional liability, with a preference for some Cyber Liability experience:
- Miscellaneous Errors and Omissions, Miscellaneous Medical Malpractice, Computer/Technology, Architects and Engineers, Lawyers, Physicians, Surgeons and Dentists, and Insurance Agents and Brokers
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Excel and Word)