Regional Lead Ocean Marine Underwriter
The James Allen Companies Inc.
We currently have an opportunity available for a Regional Lead Underwriter to join our team in our Palos Heights, IL location (other locations including our downtown Chicago office will be considered). This opportunity reports directly to the Regional President of this division and is responsible for our Mid-West region. Must have experience with Hull, Protection & Indemnity and Marine Liabilities; Ocean Cargo is a plus.
1. Manages a profitable book of business by evaluating results and conducting portfolio reviews for assigned territory and individual producers. Develops integrated pictures of factors that affect profitability, growth, retention and recommends, implements, and monitors necessary action plans.
2. Has underwriting responsibility for a book of new and renewal business. Examines, identifies, and evaluates exposures by analyzing documentation from various sources, such as the insurance application, internet searches, inspection reports, credit reports, etc. Makes underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within assigned underwriting authority level in partnership with underwriting team. Executes underwriting strategy as determined by management, including portfolio management and self-audits. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws and company guidelines.
3. Develops superior working relationships with producers to successfully promote achievement of mutual operating goals (growth, retention, and profitability) and to supply the appropriate products and services. Determines and executes strategy for account management and agency planning. Works closely with other departments, including claims, actuary and risk control staff in an effort to better service producers and accounts.
4. Gathers and analyzes competitor and producer information including producers’ retention, profitability and potential, in support of pricing and appetite. Works with other underwriting staff to determine and make recommendations for marketing, pricing, products and systems.
5. Collaborates with team members to manage work inventories and all production activities to provide accurate and timely service in accordance with business unit standards. Processes underwriting decisions. Documents files and reports via automated desktop systems and tools.
6. Regularly travels to key producers/accounts and remains a visible presence in the industry.
7. Provides training and mentoring to less experienced underwriters and/or underwriting assistants.
8. Stays abreast of industry, territory and insurance trends.
Possesses demonstrated technical knowledge and skills, including insurance products and industry. Must be able to identify and describe the major perils insured under policies. Must be able to independently identify and describe the exposures and hazards to consider in making an underwriting decision. Must know how to effectively obtain information needed to make an underwriting decision.
Must have proven analytical, decision making, problem-solving, communication, presentation, listening and organizational skills. Must be able to work both independently and as a highly collaborative member of a team. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite as well as electronic underwriting systems. Must be able to work in a fast pace and rapidly changing environment.
Education and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of 5+ years Ocean Marine specialty underwriting experience.