Sr Finance Manager
The James Allen Companies Inc.
Location: New York, NY (Some remote work available)
Experience Level: Experienced (5-10 years of Finance & Accounting experience in the Life Insurance industry either at a brokerage or insurance company)
Requirements: Occasional evenings and weekends (we are a start-up)
About the Role:
We are hiring an experienced, knowledgeable and dedicated Sr. Manager of Finance. The position presents an exciting opportunity to join a successful start-up as it is taking off and help support our impressive growth with accounting, budgeting and finance functions aligned with our business goals.
In this exciting and newly created position, you will be directly responsible for finance, accounting, and legal/risk management. As the Sr. Manager of Finance, you will report to the Chief Operating Officer. This is an ideal opportunity for a leader who is committed to applying their financial, strategic, and operational skills to build and sustain an organization whose mission is to become a premier place of business in the Insurance industry.
• Direct all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, commissions, payroll and financial reporting
• Analyze the company’s financial results with respect to profits, trends, costs and compliance with budgets. Advise and issue regular status and ad hoc reports to senior management
• Provide strategic guidance around finance operations to support company growth needs
• Develop and coordinate all relationships with lending/financial institutions
• Develop and maintain all necessary accounting policies and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting. Ensure that records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
• Assist senior management and the Founding Principal in financial planning and results management. Work with other team members to understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking
• Coordinate, prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
• Coordinate and/or preparing tax schedules, returns and information
• Manage all tax planning and compliance with all required federal, state, local, payroll, property and other applicable taxes
• Manage cash flow
• Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
• Build an accounting department (people, process and technology) as the company grows
• Manage and execute financial related projects and process improvements.
• Manage licenses and contracts on behalf of the organization – includes licenses with state and foreign jurisdictions and contracts with IMO’s, General Agencies, Agents, and Insurance Companies
• Must have 5+ years of experience in a financial management role at an insurance or financial services industry related entity
• 5+ years of managerial accounting and financial management experience
• Familiarity with accounting software such as QuickBooks, QuickBooks Online, etc. knowledge of commission tracking tools required
• Experience working in a growing business or start up
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business required.
• CPA, CMA and/or MBA preferred
• Superior management skills and ability to work without direct supervision
• Proven track record of success facilitating progressive development within a growing organization
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
• Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
• Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
• Organized and Reliable: Able to organize, prioritize, manage self and others and meet timelines on multiple tasks and requests simultaneously
• Strong knowledge of life insurance terminology required
• Knowledge of insurance licensing, producer contracts and insurance company(ies) appointments required
• Ability to anticipate issues and communicate quickly and effectively
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Adaptable and Proactive
• Exercises good judgement and common sense
• Proficient in MS Word and MS Excel