The James Allen Companies Inc.
- OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE
Responsibilities for this position include overseeing underwriting quality to achieve profitable growth for the company; underwriting audits; training and development of underwriting staff; and providing other support as needed.
Perform duties with considerable independent judgment per grants of underwriting authority and established procedures.
III. ESSENTIAL DUITES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the underwriting staff.
- Train underwriters
- Monitor risk selection, renewal retention and pricing decisions of underwriting
- Conduct quarterly audits of Underwriters to confirm compliance with underwriting guidelines.
- Develop underwriting guidelines/procedures as deemed appropriate
- Maintain turnaround standards
- Quote, price, inspect and underwrite new and renewal policies.
- JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial lines products and services and the ability to translate this knowledge to staff and agency partners.
- Working knowledge of current business conditions, the competition and territory specific issues. Good business acumen.
- Excellent agency relationship experience
- Leadership and coaching skills to develop underwriting team
- Effective communication, negotiation, and people skills.
- Ability to interpret and apply concepts based on state statutes, regulations, underwriting standards, company policy and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven capability of working as part of a team environment.
- Proven ability to manage multiple and complex tasks simultaneously
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training, plus 5 years commercial Property and Casualty underwriting, and management experience required.
- CPCU/AU designation highly preferred.