Our client has an opportunity available for a Technology Underwriting Specialist to join our n Technology Insurance team in Anaheim, CA. The Technology Underwriting Specialist manages all components of development, growth and profitability for the Technology and Medical Technology books of business in the assigned territory. The primary focus is on new business production and large account management. This position provides underwriting support and services to assigned producers within broad underwriting authority levels.
- Maximizes opportunities for underwriting profitable new and renewal business, as appropriate based on market conditions, by leveraging business relationships, product knowledge and underwriting acumen. Develops and maintains an active target account list tracking prospects and account rounding and/or missed opportunities. Manages financial performance of assigned territory including: accident year loss ratio, premium plans (new business, retention, and rate/exposure increases), and commission targets.
- Underwrites a book of business. Manages underwriting quality and book management. Reviews eligibility, class fit, price, deductibles, ITV and losses to determine exposures. Executes underwriting strategy as determined by management, including portfolio management, self-audits of new and renewal business and well documented approvals of underwriting edits. Ensures compliance with standards and assigned underwriting authorities.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of exposures and key coverage issues. Makes underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within broad underwriting authority. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws.
- Develops superior working relationships with producers to successfully promote achievement of mutual growth and profitability goals and to supply the appropriate products and services. From a sales perspective, has the ability to identify gaps in coverage and/or services, understands where we can make a difference based on those gaps and uses that information to help retain or obtain a customer. Works closely with and establishes strong business partnerships with other departments, including claims, actuary and risk control staff in an effort to better service producers and accounts.
- Regularly travels to key producers/accounts and remains highly visible in the marketplace. Anticipates the needs of the agency plant, analyzes trends, and implements proactive strategies that best position the business. Understands and communicates the company underwriting appetite. Monitors agency action plans and participates in account management, agency planning and marketing meetings to best position the business for the future. Participates in industry events and/or committees.
- Gathers and analyzes competitor information and producer specific reports on assigned producers’ new business flow, retention, profitability and potential, to support territorial rate reviews. Works with other underwriting staff to determine and make recommendations for marketing, pricing, products and systems.
- Provides training and mentoring to less experienced underwriters.
- Maintains a strong professional knowledge of competitive, regulatory and legal environments and applies this information effectively.
- Expert knowledge of technical underwriting, pricing, and coverage issues. Must be a proven self-starter with strong multi-tasking and relationship management skills. Must have superior negotiation, marketing and sales skills.
- Must have strong analytical, decision making, problem-solving, communication, presentation, listening, and organizational skills. Must be able to work both independently and as a highly collaborative member of a team. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite and electronic underwriting systems.
- Must maintain strong professional knowledge of legislative issues, industry trends and marketplace issues within the territory. Must be able to work in a fast pace and rapidly changing environment.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressively more complex, specialty lines underwriting experience.