The James Allen Companies Inc.
Location: New York, NY (Some remote work available)
Experience Level: Senior (10+ years of Life Insurance Underwriting and/or Client Service, with a proven track record of growing and managing departments)
Requirements: Occasional evenings and weekends (we are a start-up)
About the Role:
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Managing Director is ultimately responsible for meeting the production and quality standards of the Underwriting and Client Service departments. They must be recognized as an expert in the field of underwriting (including accelerated underwriting) and are expected to have a breadth of knowledge of company operations. A successful track record in building and scaling Life Insurance Underwriting and/or Client Service departments is required. The Managing Director will be required to establish key goals, processes, technology, and metrics for the departments, and will be accountable to monitoring production standards, time service, and quality standards against those metrics. They are responsible for identifying and maximizing efficiencies and opportunities for process and technology improvements, working closely with the Chief Operating Officer. The Managing Director will be responsible for the management and professional development of the Underwriting and Client Service teams reporting to them, are expected to have excellent written and verbal communication as well as and people and relationship management skills.
The Managing Director will have extensive interactions with clients, Client Advisors, and executive leadership. They will work closely with internal and external parties to lend their expertise and input, and are involved in the reviews of processes, projects, testing of new technologies and the onboarding of new clients.
• Responsible for the overall performance (and reporting out of the performance) of the Underwriting Department against the highest level of quality and productivity standards.
• Lead the development and strategy execution to create efficiencies in Underwriting and Client Service, working to improve current workflows and procedures and testing of new innovations and technologies.
• Responsible for the overall Underwriting Process & Technology and that the Underwriting Processes, Procedures and Guidelines are well documented in accordance with the company’s Document Management guidelines and that the team adheres to the Process.
• Anticipate internal and external business challenges and/or regulatory issues and recommend process, product, or service improvements
• Monitor workloads and assign daily work fairly across the team, ensuring account specific requirements and subject matter expertise is considered, as well as efficiency
• Conduct hiring, performance management, talent development and personnel evaluations
• Must have a complete understanding of how to process New Business applications for Life Insurance including Accelerated Underwriting
• Communicate professionally, concisely, and effectively with internal and external clients on all issues pertaining to any New Business & Client Service
• As needed, proactively negotiate with carrier underwriters for best possible risk classification throughout the Underwriting process.
• Understand how final offers will impact the case design and work cooperatively with the Design department to update the design appropriately
• Ensure Underwriting team accurately and efficiently classifies the risk for proposed insureds based on both medical and nonmedical information on cases
• Maintain a strong working knowledge of our administrative systems, product rules, underwriting guidelines, and medical requirements
• Ability to advocate for the client regarding requirements and risk classes, working with department resources, to ensure best outcomes and timely case management
• Represent the underwriting division across the organization
• Act as a primary resource to ensure consistency and best practices with team and external underwriting and client service partners
• As needed, assist with process improvement or other organization-wide initiatives
• Organized and Reliable: Able to organize, prioritize, manage teams and meet timelines on multiple tasks and requests simultaneously
• Exceptional Detail and Process Orientation: able to guide others in following processes and perform exceptional quality checks which will identify data and formatting errors, and missing information
• Exceptional oral and written communication with strict adherence to writing fundamentals
• Ability to synthesize trends and communicate and report on performance to Executives required
• Experience in building and scaling the Underwriting and/or Client Service department within the Life Insurance Industry required
• Prior Sr. Management experience required
• Expertise in new business underwriting processes including accelerated underwriting, forms, carrier underwriting requirements and case management in a brokerage environment required
• Strong knowledge of HIPAA and other regulatory requirements required
• Strong knowledge of life insurance terminology required
• Knowledge of broker dealer and licensing required
• Strong understanding of risk classifications
• State Life and Health Insurance licenses preferred
• Knowledge of insurance licensing, producer contracts and insurance company(ies) appointments required
• General medical knowledge (ability to read Attending Physician Statements)
• Ability to anticipate issues and communicate quickly and effectively
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Adaptable and Proactive
• Exercises good judgement and common sense
• Proficient in Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
• Experience with Underwriting Technology (e.g., SmartOffice) required
• Minimum 10+ years Underwriting experience
• FALU (Fellow Academy of Life Underwriting) – preferred
• FLMI (Fellow Life Management Institute) – preferred
• CLU – Chartered Life Underwriting – preferred